SecondSkin

dedicated to bright shiny objects everywhere!

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

change

So, the Gemini in me wants to come out and play today, and I'm wondering - is change for the sake of change a good thing?

Stagnation and passivity are generally assumed to be bad things - but are they so different from stability and consitency? And, when speaking in terms of life in general, isn't trying new things, and experimenting, generally a good idea?

The Gemini in me demands that if my daily routine becomes too much of a routine, that I do something, anything, to spice it up. I get antsy if things stay the same for too long. So, is this a good thing, and ensuring that I am constantly broadening my horizons? Or, is it a dangerous tendancy to resist the comfort stability brings? That whole theme song bit comes to mind "when I grow up, I'll be stable. When I grow up I'll turn the tables..." Am I simply trying to dodge growing up and the perception that responsibility increases with it? (I say perception because really, the responsibility factor already applies - mostly! :)

One of the reasons this is all rolling around in my head, is that I realized I'm almost 27, and the longest job I've held was working for minimum wage at a book store. (A grand total of 16 months.) It's not that I've hated all my previous jobs (and I've never been fired - thank god!), but for some reason or other I've alwyas decided to "move on". It's always been for a good reason - or at least that's what I tell myself. But maybe, it's just been an un-healthy appetite for change.

And then again, maybe not. After all, in all of the jobs I've held, I've gone as far as I could reasonably go, in terms of responsibility and/or challenges. In the one job where I would have liked to go further, my position was cut due to funding restrictions. In that case change found me, I didn't go seeking it. Maybe the previous jobs were just stepping stones, and never really intended to provide an "end solution", you know, in the grand, cosmic order of things.

So, maybe my search for change is furthering my quest for stability? Too much of a leap? If each "change" is a step to bring me closer to that illusive goal of "success" and "happiness", maybe it's not such a stretch.

Who knows. Maybe for a semi-schitzophrenic, slightly bi-polar Gemini, change is the only consistent thing going.

Thoughts to ponder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home