SecondSkin

dedicated to bright shiny objects everywhere!

Friday, March 26, 2004

the sound of music

"the hills are alive......."

OH GOD NO!!!!!!! Not a schmalltzy musical song -all sunshine, and happy-happy, and blissfully unrealistic. The perfect example of a song that could never represent a whole life as a theme song. (Well, certainly not my life anyway! Maybe some of you can be best summed up with the sound of music and whiskers on kittens...lucky you!?)

Nope. If I were to choose a theme song for my life, not an easy task, I think my first choice would be Evanescence, "Going Under". The line :"Don't want your hand this time I'll save my self" has particular appeal. So far, my life has been marked by some fairly significant peaks and valleys, and the whole concept of "going under, but dammit I'll get through this shit - again" is kind of doggedly positive.

Along similar lines, Bif Naked's "I Love Myself Today" is another song with an appropriate sentiment. 'Cause there are days (c'mon, we've all had them) when I just don't (love myself, that is). But over the last couple years, the whole, "I love myself today, I'm cool, I'm calm, I'm gonna get my way (uh-huh)" works for me (most of the time). And again, there's that defiant "I can SO kick ass!" sentiment that I kinda like. :)

Oh, and there's "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks - suitably chamelionic!

And "When I Grow Up" by Garbage "when I grow up I'll be stable...when I grow up I'll turn the tables.."

Poe's "Beat of my Own Drum"....

I think I need an album, not just a song! Though I'd say there's a definite theme running through, it just depends on my mood as to which song is particularly apt at any given time. So much is reflected by music - more than just the lyrics, or even the tune, there's all the historical and nostalgic baggage that goes with.

So maybe, the goal in creating your personal soundtrack, is to pick songs that represent certain periods in your personal history. So, add Bush "Machine Head", Moist "Silver", Live "Lightening Crashes", A whole lot of Dave Matthews Band, some Teagan and Sarah, Disturbed, Rolling Stones "Paint it Black", Evanescence again, Bif's "I Died", and Poe's "Hey Pretty". Finish it up with a grand finale of Violent Femmes "Blister in the Sun", and there you have it! Songs that mean something to me, and to a lot of my friends.

And not one song from a cheesy musical.

So, Tina's already thrown the door open. Who else'll step up? What's on your soundtrack?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home