SecondSkin

dedicated to bright shiny objects everywhere!

Friday, June 03, 2005

Back in black... well, OK, red & brown....

Well, I've almost hit the 6 month mark for the "new" business. Crazy - my last post was before the business was even off the ground. Guess that goes to show what I've been up to for the last few months!

It's been a bit exhausting, but otherwise, the first few months of business ownership have gone really well - better than expected really. The flow of projects has kept up, with very little effort on my part. I know that has to change, but for now, it's really been great to have had a chance to get my feet under me. Next step will be to exert some serious effort in recruiting and solidifying my clients.

It's still a bit weird to think that I'm a business owner. Must be a bit like becoming a parent, or a home owner... I don't really feel like I'm any more responsible, or grown up, but I own a business, so I must be... right???

Oh, and I've got a logo figured out now too. My website is still a work in progress, but it'll be up in the next month or so I hope, and it'll be full of the logo, info, etc etc etc. If you want to check it out in the mean time, it's at www.redcrowcreative.com.

Sean, if you're still out there, you asked why "Red Crow" Creative? It's from a book by Charles de Lint called "Memory and Dream". It's a fantasy, of course, and one of the characters is brought across to this world from the "before" through a painting. She spends a lot of time questioning if she's "real" or not, and thus questioning what makes someone "real". In the end, she decides that it's a combination of blood, dreams, and the creative impulse - the ability to create. She calls this cocktail the "red crow that beats inside our chests", and every "real" person out there has one. I liked the idea that what makes us more than just the sum of our parts is linked to our ability to dream, and our creativity, as well as the blood in our veins, and so adopted the name for my company. :) That and as I was walking home the day I named the company I saw two crows fly overhead - that tweaked my memory to the concept in the book, so I figured it was an omen. Man, between crows and fortune cookies, I'm just full of omens! You'd almost think I was superstitious...

Is this where I mention that my current D&D character has a pet rabbit for luck? Oh, and she gave it a necklace of finger bones from her fallen foes... Ponder the irony in that! ;)

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home