SecondSkin

dedicated to bright shiny objects everywhere!

Friday, October 22, 2004

When opportunity knocks

Now that I've assessed the hive mind, I'll let you all in on what spawned the previous post.
I love my job. The people (person) I work for is great, I enjoy the project completion aspect of printing and small scale manufacturing, and the sense of accomplishment when I see my work up in the community. I love the creativity involved in the graphic design that I do - whether it's a billboard I'm creating, or a whole series of ads for promotional signage. And I love the autonomy I have in my side of the company - I'm the only one doing what I do, and I basically operate and manage it all by myself. Not bad for just under a year, huh? :)
So, I've been presented with an opportunity. You see, what I do for Rock, is really a small fraction of what the company does. The primary money maker is the sale of LED scoreboards, video display screens, big fancy tri-vision billboards... you get the idea. The part of the company that I work for/with is sort of a hanger on from the early days of Rock, and their foothold in the local community. But, it's become sort of divergent from the really lucrative arenas of business, and my boss is looking to streamline. Trick is, they still need the reprographics end of things. After all, someone's got to design and print stuff to go in the signs, right? So, they don't want to sign the business away to just anyone. Plus, if they're sending their clients to this off shoot business to get their reprographic work done, they want to make sure that the business is reliable - it's Rock's name on the line every time they make a referral.
So, my boss asked me if I want to run my own business. Comes with clients, equipment, computers, previous design files, referrals, and support any time I want to ask questions. All in a bright shiny package with a lease plan, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to get a bank loan with no collateral.
I'd get to do something I love, something that I've been learning how to do for the past year, and I'd be doing it for myself. Of course there are risks, and obstacles to overcome (like where the hell do I set up shop?). But the question is, if I have ever wanted, or will ever want to, run my own business, can I afford to pass this up?

Oh, and just to add icing on the cake - I got a fortune cookie last weekend that said "You will take a chance in the near future and win." Question is, does it mean adding that extra spoonful of curry powder to the chicken last night, or buying my own business?